(Updated and Revised 2/28/15)
If you’re a thirty to fifty-something, chances are you might have heard of a little band from Britain called Duran Duran.
You couldn’t go to a magazine rack in the 1980’s without seeing Duran Duran on the covers of all the popular teen magazines like Bop!, Tiger Beat and Star Hits, just to name a few. Their fans were screaming, wild teenie-boppers who sported the latest in 80’s fashion and flair.
Most Duran Duran fans were female, of course. Those of us who were true fans referred to ourselves as Duranies.
Duran Duran was (and still are!) a very influential band with great style, high energy and cutting edge, innovative, sexy music and videos.
In honor of my 25 year class reunion in 2015, I’ve decided to put together an anthology of essays and artwork from Duranie’s around the world (I hope!).
I Was a Teenage Duranie, is fueled by my love for and wonderful memories of Duran Duran, and inspired by John Taylor’s autobiography, In The Pleasure Groove: Love, Death & Duran Duran.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS (updated 3/1/15)
What I am looking for are personal essays, anecdotes, artwork and photos by women AND men who were (and still are!) Duranies for inclusion in this anthology.
**Would LOVE to find parents and children (and even grandchildren!) who love Duran Duran as well! Duran Duran’s music is timeless and classic!
- Essays and anecdotes should be at least 300 words. Poems will also be considered. Send Word documents, links, or paste text into email body.
- Artwork should have a Duran Duran element to it and preferably created during your teen years. Attach a JPG of artwork to email with description of the work.
- Photos from the 80’s until now of Duran Duran concerts, posters in your room, group of friends holding Duran Duran items or dressed up as members of Duran Duran, actual concert tickets, Duran Duran themed mix tapes and anything that you think might be of interest to readers in this book. Attach as JPG to email, with description of the photo.
- If in doubt about if something meets guidelines, just ask. You never know!
- You can send more than one piece to go together (i.e.: essay with photos or artwork)
- Deadline for submissions: 4/30/15
- Those chosen for inclusion in I Was a Teenage Duranie will be notified within a few weeks of submission closing date.
*When published, all contributors chosen to be in the book will receive a copy of the book. Accepted written submissions will also receive $10 for their contribution. No payment for photo submissions, as of yet. Payments all subject to change as the project goes forward. All submissions can be emailed to Laura at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Duranie submission”
Rights to the material:
I Was a Teenage Duranie retains the rights to the material if chosen for inclusion, but sole creative rights remain property of the writer/contributor. You can post the material on blogs or other websites with reference to the book and website.
If accepted for I Was a Teenage Duranie, your submission is subject to editing for clarity, grammar and content.
The contributor agrees that Laura Bock retains the right to archive your submission on the Tales of a Formerly Inadequate Fat Girl website, and it could be used in part or whole, with full credit to creator, for promotion of the book I Was a Teenage Duranie.