Seven Deadly Sins of Punk & Goth
I’ve always had a fascination with the Seven Deadly Sins…
Recently, I decided to do a layered collage series featuring Punk and Goth musical icons as the cardinal seven deadly sins.
I glued the images to recycle cardboard then cut out with an X-Acto knife for a more 3D style of layering.
Once I researched and found the colors associated with each sin, I mounted each finished piece to the corresponding colored glitter paper, which was also mounted to recycled cardboard.
I carefully considered my choices for each cardinal sin and here is what I ended up with and why…
- Dave Gahan of Depeche Mode is Lust, for obvious reasons. (Edited to make it safe to share — original doesn’t have the nipples covered)
- Peter Murphy is Vanity because this image of him fit the aesthetic of vanity perfectly.
- Siouxsie Sioux is Envy because all the goth girls in the scene envy her beauty and try to copy her.
- Sid and Nancy are Gluttony because of their drug addiction that was eventually their downfall.
- John Lydon AKA Johnny Rotten is Anger because “anger is an energy.”
- Malcolm McLaren is Greed because he was a greedy bastard, as noted by his “Cash from Chaos” shirt from the movie The Great Rock and Roll Swindle.
And lastly, I believe this one is by far the most humorous of all…
- Morrissey is Sloth because of his tendency to perform a few songs and walk off the stage or just cancel his shows altogether.
What I plan on doing with these yet is unknown.
I thought about putting them all together in one big piece and framing it.
There are so many possibilities, but only time will tell. Perhaps I will sell the set eventually.
I might do a set of the Seven Virtues to match this set… I’ll have to think some on that one. After all, sin is so much more fun!
Let me know what you think of these! Who would you cast as the Seven Deadly Sins?
PS: A short 7 song playlist accompanies this post, right below the gallery! Enjoy!