Class of 1990 – 31 Years Later
***EDITED & UPDATED on 2/15/2021: Added Prince and Morris Day & The Time to the playlist.
June 7, 1990
The class of 1990 graduated from Clearview High School in Lorain, Ohio – all 70 something of us. Small school, small class, but we all knew each other and there was an almost universal camaraderie between us all.
Looking back now, being a pretty tight-knit class was amazingly cool.
I can remember the movies from my teen years where the schools were huge and no one knew each other outside of their cliques. I’m thankful we weren’t like that, or that we didn’t let our differences separate us too much.
Our school was small but packed.
We housed not only the high school but the junior high as well. Some of my good friends weren’t just in my class, but some both older and younger than me. I still treasure my friendships from my high school days.
The classes were great as well – not like today’s curriculum of proficiency test-based teaching. I took three years of Latin and Art and took some amazing electives like English Literature and Detective Novel. Those teachers remained great friends and mentors to me throughout my adult life.
Thirty-one years later and it feels as if it were just yesterday.
Where did the time go? Most have families and children, some of those children are now graduating high school or college.
Some of my friends are even returning to college and continuing their education. I applaud them. If I were to return to school to finish my degree, I’d be in remedial math! I know I’ve forgotten all that information over the years of not using it regularly. Makes me wish I wouldn’t have put off taking my math and science classes. I’d be that much closer to a degree, that’s for sure! But I digress…
I miss all the fun we all used to have back in those carefree high school days. The parties were great as well. We weren’t the trouble-making brats that the overprivileged and spoiled kids of today are! It’s funny to think back – we actually had a sense of responsibility – if for any other reason that our parents would kill us for getting into trouble!
Anyways, this playlist is for my former classmates – and anyone who appreciates the awesome music of the 1980s.
There’s a great mix of rock, r&b, pop, and new wave hits I can remember dancing to at our school dances and playing loudly at parties. I hope this playlist makes some of you Gen Xers Bust a Move! Class of 1990 represent!
Class of 1990 Mixtape
- Lean on Me – Club Nouveau
- U Can’t Touch This – MC Hammer
- Cold-Hearted – Paula Abdul
- Let’s Go Crazy – Prince
- Jungle Love – Morris Day & The Time
- Girl You Know It’s True – Milli Vanilli
- My Prerogative – Bobby Brown
- Humpty Dance – Digital Underground
- Word Up – Cameo
- Head to Toe – Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam
- Rhythm of the Night – DeBarge
- All Night Long – Lionel Ritchie
- I Want Your Sex – George Michael
- Billie Jean – Michael Jackson
- I Wanna Dance With Somebody – Whitney Houston
- Walk This Way – Run-DMC
- Miss You Much – Janet Jackson
- Rub You the Right Way – Johnny Gill
- Girlfriend – Pebbles
- Bust a Move – Young MC
- Push It – Salt n Pepa
- Rumors – Timex Social Club
- Funky Cold Medina – Tone Loc
- Poison – Bell Biv DeVoe
- Sending all My Love – Linear
- You Got It (The Right Stuff) – New Kids on the Block
- Real Love – Jody Watley
- What I Am – Edie Brickell & New Bohemians
- Express Yourself – Madonna
- Venus – Bananarama
- Buffalo Stance – Neneh Cherry
- Once Bitten Twice Shy – Great White
- Seventeen – Winger
- Bad Medicine – Bon Jovi
- Dreams – Van Halen
- Sweet Child O’Mine – Guns N Roses
- Nothin’ But a Good Time – Poison
- Youth Gone Wild – Skid Row
- Dr. Feelgood – Motley Crue
- Heaven – Warrant
- Gypsy Road – Cinderella
- Love in an Elevator – Aerosmith
- Forget Me Not – Bad English
- Will You Still Love Me? – Chicago
- It Must Have Been Love – Roxette
- Right Here Waiting – Richard Marx
- The Next Time I Fall – Peter Cetera & Amy Grant
- Hazy Shade of Winter – The Bangles
- Love Shack – B52’s
- Need You Tonight – INXS
- Just Like Heaven – The Cure
- I Don’t Want Your Love – Duran Duran
- We Didn’t Start the Fire – Billy Joel
- Girls Just Wanna Have Fun – Cyndi Lauper
- Karma Chameleon – Culture Club
- Red Red Wine – UB40
- Your Love – The Outfield
- And We Danced – The Hooters
- Glory Days – Bruce Springsteen
- Jack & Diane – John Cougar-Mellencamp
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life – Jennifer Warnes & Bill Medley