In the mid 1980’s a rock music explosion happened almost over night. Their hair was big and their music was loud.
Some people love them. Others hate them.
Either way, along with helping to tear a hole in the ozone layer with all the hair spray they used, these bands carved out a place in 80’s music history.
There are stations like Hair Nation on Sirius XM dedicated to that head banging era of music. Terrestrial radio stations dedicate afternoons, days and even weekends to the glorious metal hair band music of the 80’s.
Being the only punk out of my group of friends in my high school class back in the 80’s, I’m proud to say I wasn’t a music snob. I listened to the music of my peers – whether it was pop, metal or r&b. I love musical diversity, and that’s what the decade of decadence was all about.
I’m not ashamed to say I rock out to hair bands! It’s party music. You cannot beat those guitar solos and amazing riffs with the whammy bar. Plus they were hot guys (mostly) with long hair! I was however, sometimes jealous of the hair some of those guys had, but that’s another story.
When I’m driving, especially in the summer, I love cranking a good hair band tune with the windows down and wind ripping through my hair. You might even catch me performing air guitar or even air drumming at a stop light. I don’t care – it feels good!
I have a lot of great memories that go along with the rockin’ music from 80’s (and 90’s) hair bands – they are definitely a part of the soundtrack to my life.
The following 60 song power packed mix tape list could have, like my favorite classic punk and alternative music, gone on forever. There’s an awesome mix of high energy and power ballads in this list. Either way, I’m sure you’ll be flashing the horns, head banging and rockin’ away to this list!
When I hear these killer tunes, I crank the music and let loose! I hope you enjoy this trip down hair band memory lane with me!
- The Final Countdown – Europe
- Kickstart My Heart – Motley Crue
- I Wanna Rock – Twisted Sister
- Cum on Feel the Noize – Quiet Riot
- Up All Night – Slaughter
- Wicked Sensation – Lynch Mob
- Strutter – KISS
- You Give Love a Bad Name – Bon Jovi
- Modern Day Cowboy – Tesla
- New York Groove – Ace Frehley
- Hot For Teacher – Van Halen
- Talk Dirty to Me – Poison
- Cherry Pie – Warrant
- Give it to me Good – Trixter
- Don’t Tell Me You Love Me – Night Ranger
- In My Dreams – Dokken
- You’re In Love – Ratt
- Last in Line – Dio
- Symphony of Destruction – Megadeth
- One – Metallica
- Panama – Van Halen
- The Audience is Listening – Steve Vai
- Fool for Your Loving – Whitesnake
- Shake Me – Cinderella
- Rock Me – Great White
- Eyes of a Stranger – Queensryche
- Rocket – Def Leppard
- Get The Funk Out – Extreme
- Wild Thing – Sam Kinison
- Seventeen – Winger
- Coming of Age – Damn Yankees
- Bang Bang – Danger Danger
- Girlschool – Britny Fox
- Bathroom Wall – Faster Pussycat
- Crazy Train – Ozzy Osbourne
- Breaking the Law – Judas Priest
- Poison – Alice Cooper
- Dr. Feelgood – Motley Crue
- Mr. Brownstone – Guns & Roses
- Smooth Up in Ya – Bullet Boys
- Don’t Need Rules – Kik Tracee
- Edge of a Broken Heart – Vixen
- (Can’t Live Without Your) Love and Affection – Nelson
- Jelly Roll – Blue Murder
- Nobody’s Fool – Cinderella
- Bringin’ on the Heartbreak – Def Leppard
- Sweet Emotion – Aerosmith
- When It’s Love – Van Halen
- Fly to the Angels – Slaughter
- Every Rose has its Thorn – Poison
- Never Say Goodbye – Bon Jovi
- Forever – KISS
- Hand on Heart – Queensryche
- The Deeper The Love – Whitesnake
- Love of a Lifetime – Firehouse
- I Remember You – Skid Row
- Close Your Eyes Forever – Lita Ford and Ozzy Osbourne
- Home Sweet Home – Motley Crue
- Love Song – Tesla
- Headed for a Heartbreak – Winger