World Goth Day – Dance the Ghost with Me
In honor of World Goth Day, which ironically is on Morrissey’s Birthday, I decided to put together a kick-ass Goth – Industrial – Dark Wave playlist.
These are the most memorable tunes I can remember hearing (and dancing to my heart’s content) back in the late 1980s to mid-1990s at Northern Ohio area clubs like Spanky’s, Nine of Clubs, The Phantasy, Metropolis, The Whisky, Pocketts, and The Chamber.
I cannot forget my all-time favorite club, down in Columbus, Ohio, Mean Mr. Mustards! Oh, how I miss that place with its buckets o’beer for $5, restrooms with no doors and graffiti everywhere! Those were the days!
Best times of my late teens to early thirties were spent in dance clubs like these. I looked forward to my dancing nights out. I didn’t care if I had to go alone – and many times I did – I just wanted to forget my life for a few hours and get lost in the music. It was my therapy.
The music is still therapeutic and I’d love nothing more than to go out dancing to these awesome tunes like I used to. Alas, I am older and the music they now play at the clubs sounds like Transformers having bad sex (dubstep) and the clubs are filled with young kids twirling glo-sticks as they dance (emo ravers).
Maybe I should open an old school punk and goth club… but would anyone my age actually go and indulge in these great tunes of days gone by? Is anyone else as passionate about the music as I am? I wonder…
Anyways, I hope you enjoy this dance trip down memory lane and that these songs make you want to get up and dance!
- This Corrosion (extended mix) – The Sisters of Mercy
- Testure (12″ mix) – Skinny Puppy
- Fascination Street (extended mix) – The Cure
- Strangelove (Pain mix) – Depeche Mode
- Cities in Dust (extended Eruption mix) – Siouxsie and The Banshees
- So What – Ministry
- Godlike (Doglike mix) – KMFDM
- The Bog – Bigod 20
- Bela Lugosi’s Dead – Bauhaus
- How Soon is Now? – The Smiths
- New York New York (dancefloor cut mix) – Microchip League (MCL)
- Dominator – Human Resource
- Headhunter (full version) – Front 242
- Supernaut – 1000 Homo DJs
- A Daisy Chain 4 Satan – My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
- Join in the Chant – Nitzer Ebb
- Wave of Mutilation (UK Surf) – The Pixies
- Stainless Steel Providers – Revolting Cocks
- Doctorin’ the TARDIS – The Timelords
- Cuts You Up – Peter Murphy
- Sin (remastered) – Nine Inch Nails
- Blue Monday 88 – New Order
- Motorcycle – Love and Rockets
- I Sit on Acid (extended remix) – Lords of Acid
- Wasteland – The Mission UK
- Nemisis (12″ mix) – Shriekback
- Just Like Honey – The Jesus and Mary Chain
- Lucretia my Reflection (extended mix) – The Sisters of Mercy
- A Forest (extended) – The Cure
- Beers, Steers & Queers – Revolting Cocks
- Kooler Than Jesus (Communion mix) – My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult
- Stigmata – Ministry
- Rush – Depeche Mode
- Love Like Blood – Killing Joke
- Open Your Eyes – Lords of the New Church
- Like a Bad Girl Should – The Cramps
- Fade to Grey – Visage
- She Sells Sanctuary – The Cult
- (I Can’t Stop) The Rain – The Crush
- Transmission – Joy Division
- There is a Light That Never Goes Out – The Smiths
- Peek-A-Boo (Silver Dollar mix) – Siouxsie and The Banshees
- The Killing Moon – Echo and The Bunnymen
- Obsession – Clan of Xymox
- Circling Overland – Front 242
- Carpe Diem – Bigod 20
- Delicious Demon – The Sugarcubes
- Pearly Dewdrops’ Drops – Cocteau Twins
- Flowers of Romance – Public Image Ltd.
- Sonic Reducer – Dead Boys
- She’s in Parties – Bauhaus
- The Mercy Seat – Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds
- Get Down Make Love – Nine Inch Nails
- Debaser – The Pixies
- Johnson’s Aeroplane – INXS
- Church of No Return – Christian Death
- I Walk The Line – Alien Sex Fiend
- I Want You (7″ mix) – Cabaret Voltaire
- The Great Commandment – Camouflage
- Close to Me – The Cure
3 Thoughts to “World Goth Day – Dance the Ghost with Me”
Happy Goth Day to you, too!!! I LOVE this playlist/mix tape so much.
I would most definitely go to your old school/punk idea for a club if we lived in the same area. There are a few here in LA that still cater to the older generation – I should check it out sometime. Back in the day music and dancing at clubs was my therapy, too – for certain.
p.s. I’m going to share your mix via my social media, linking to this post…its so good!